Wednesday, August 12, 2009

A Gate Too Narrow and Other Challenges...


This year I finally "bucked-up" and ordered a (partial) dump truck load of fish compost. Yes, it was expensive, and yes, it was worth it. I did some research and found a local company that had OMRI certified fish compost, and they delivered.

Challenge #1: my back gate is about 3 inches too narrow for the dump truck to back in. Thus, too small tarp + gravel driveway = difficulty shovelling. I know I'll be picking gravel bits out from my garden beds for years to come.

Challenge #2: back injuries do not go well with shovelling anything. In September I was hit by a truck while riding my bike home from the local Farmer's Market. My jam survived, but my back is still recovering, thankfully I was wearing a helmet. As a result, this Spring I have had to "take it easy". Which means using a wheelbarrow more than ever and only shovelling for short stints in between stretching and massage and physio appointments. It's taken a LONG time to move this pile of compost.

Challenge #3: I work full time, which really gets in the way of my gardening!

The compost does a number of good things in the garden:

•smothers the weeds
•fertilizes the plants organically
•absorbs heat
•holds water
•makes going to the gym unnecessary
•looks good (if I do say so myself)
I don't think I'll get this much compost every year, it was a big job but my plants are already loving it. My irises and columbines are over 4 feet tall now. Next year I will go back to my friend who has horses, they make it fresh every day!

No comments: