Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Le Jardin 2006


Ahh, my garden last year. Hopefully this year will be even better, now that I have a plan for my 3 "square foot" gardens. See Mel Bartholomew and his book "Square Foot Gardening" for more info.


I hope to do more companion planting and interplanting this year to maximize the space. I've heard of planting sunflowers and having beans climb up the flower. At the base of the sunflowers are zucchini or squash. I might try this!
In one garden box, the zucchini will go in with the garlic and daffodils, and a sprinkling of alyssum here and there. Vertically I'll grow some heirloom tomatoes on a copper trellis. I have over 70 heirloom tomato seedlings (black plum, red reif heart, "heirloom mix") on a shelf near the window waiting to live up to their delicious and gorgeous destiny. Obviously, I'm going to have to adopt out some of my wee babies, only about 5 will fit into my garden. Okay, maybe I'll cram some more on my patio...there's got to be a way to have more. The other 2 garden boxes will be jammed with lettuce, spinach, basil, broccoli, marigolds, carrots, radishes. I can taste it all now, I can't wait for planting time! Yummmmm...lettuce, tomato, and basil sandwiches. I'm ready for summer!

No comments: